Prepare for an Above-Normal 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

June 2024

Forecasters at the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center are predicting an above-normal hurricane season. The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season started June 1 and will last through November 30. Experts are predicting an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.  

NOAA is also predicting a range of 17 to 25 total named storms, with eight to 13 of them predicted to become hurricanes and up to seven major hurricanes.  

Florida Farm Bureau encourages Floridians to take all the necessary precautions when it comes to preparing for a hurricane. To better prepare, Florida residents can purchase qualifying disaster preparedness supplies tax free from Saturday, June 1 to Friday, June 14. A second exemption period will begin Saturday, August 24 and run through Friday, September 6. More information can be found on the Florida Department of Revenue website. 

Additional hurricane preparedness tips and resources can be found at Ready.Gov/Hurricanes. View the Florida Farm Bureau Hurricane Manual